I recently had a challenger in one of my fitness accountability groups ask a very good question. She has some really focused goals to improve her eating habits and workout on a regular basis. She has been doing amazing, getting awesome results and then it happened…
Like many of us, Marie went to a family bar-b-q that was filled with temptations. What do you do in this situation so that all of your hard work for the week isn’t sabotaged?
Weekends are tough for all of us! It is out of our routine. We travel, go to parties and take family excursions. It helps to have a plan in place for whatever it is we do on the weekends. Here are my recommendations as it pertains to the weekend family BBQ.
I think it would be rude and bad manners to not eat, so that isn’t an option.
Here are some tips to help you navigate a BBQ Weekend!
1. If it is a pot luck style, take something yummy that you know has better nutritional value.
2. Have your Shakeology before you go to avoid being starving when you get there.
3. Don’t drink your calories. Drink water all day and nothing else – I am not against having an adult beverage if that is being served and you really want one. Go easy on the alcohol though. The more you drink the less you will care about the wide variety of junk food surrounding you- hello sabotage!
4. Portion control! Eat a serving of the protein being served and have 1 carb of your choice. Learn to eyeball about 1/2 cup. So maybe one bread roll or 1/2 cup mac and cheese or 1 slice of pizza and load up on the veggie option if there is one. Just do your best. Do me a favor, don’t ask the host for a measuring cup so you can portion your food 😀 Just do about what would fit in the palm of your hand.
5. Don’t make a big deal about being on a diet or being so hungry- divert your focus and don’t linger around the food.
This is a time to be fun and social with your family. Eat. You don’t want to draw attention to yourself by avoiding the food the whole day.
Need more than BBQ Weekend accountability?
Connect with me and let’s get you into one of my Facebook groups where we focus on nutrition and fitness while getting support and guidance. We all need a kick in the butt from time to time – I promise, it’ll be a fun kick in the butt! 😉