I became a gym rat at 15 years old. I had my adult sister co-sign for me to join an all women’s gym at an early age. I was COMMITTED! I was one of the few who took advantage of my membership after the first 2 weeks of January. I loved the atmosphere. I loved secretly pushing myself to run faster and lift heavier than the woman next to me. It wasn’t personal… it was just how I motivated myself.
I remained committed to the gym life through college and even went on to participate in figure and fitness competitions. I loved the challenge or pushing myself to the brink of failure. I loved that I was doing something that few would have attempted. I never won anything and usually came in at the bottom of the charts but I was never let down by the numbers. I simply relished in the personal accomplishments.
After I had my first baby, my love for the gym didn’t change but my ability to get to one on a regular basis did. I was pregnant with a second baby when #1 was just 10 months old. From that point on I continued to have a baby every 2.5 years. After the birth of my 3rd baby, I knew I was going to have to figure out a way to get some consistency back in my health and fitness.
Oh no! Not a DVD! I envisioned women with big hair and leotards. I saw Richard Simmons prancing around to the tune of oldies music and I just didn’t think I had it in me. Devoted gym people DON’T DO home fitness workouts! I didn’t want to end up like this!
My closest gym was 35 minutes away and packing 3 kids in the car to get there just wasn’t working out. Once I was there, it was rare that I got a full workout in before one of the kids needed me. Then there were naptimes to navigate and the germs and sickness of the gym childcare.
My friend introduced me to Beachbody and specifically, Chalean Extreme. As a stay at home mom, I was nervous about using money from our tight family budget to get a workout DVD. But I rationalized it as a 3 month gym membership and if I committed to it then it would pay off. Remember, I go all in on stuff like this… just like the day I joined my first gym.
That was 5 years ago and I have never looked back.
Here are 10 reasons why I love home fitness…
- It saves me time! My workouts are 30 minutes most of the time. I can’t tell you how much time I wasted between driving and ridiculously long wait time between reps.
- No one is watching. I know I said I like the secret competition of others around me. But there were times when I felt the awkwardness of having others watching me workout. I think we all have that lack of confidence and insecurity from time to time.
- No need for dirty childcare. The kids play, nap or join me in my workout. Which brings me to #4.
- The kids join me. There are so many options for workouts that the kids usually have one they want to do with me. That’s a score in my book.
- It can also be a fun date. My husband and I would never be able to make it to the gym together. Now we can easily pick a program to do together and can usually squeeze in a quick 22 Minute Hard Corps workout even on the busiest of schedules.
- No more dirty equipment… well at least it’s my dirt.
- Unlimited classes that fit my schedule. All of those fun classes like Turbo Kick, Piyo, Insanity or Yoga…I have them all and they ALWAYS fit my schedule.
- With the option of On Demand, I can literally do my workout anywhere and anytime. I’ve even set up my phone in the bathroom while the kids took a bath and got a quick workout done.
- There is something for everyone. There really are no limits. Whatever my mood or time restrictions, there is a program. From a quick 10 minute ab workout to a 90 minute yoga session to a 30 minute Pilates sweat or a 40 minute strength training… It’s the ultimate total gym.
- And my most favorite… I have NEVER been more in shape and healthy than I am today. Even in my days of no kid, hours in a gym and a paid trainer – I never had the definition, strength and health that I have today. It’s truly amazing what can happen when you dial into a program and combine it with wholesome nutrition.
My Gym Days Are OVER!
If you have never fully committed to a home fitness program, I encourage you to give it a try. Even if you just use it as a substitute for those days you just can’t make it to a gym. Take a moment to reach out to me and let me help you get started with the right program for you.